Saturday, July 14, 2012

Common Core State Standards

Several weeks ago I was able to attend a conference about the new Common Core State Standards. I am very excited at the idea of the teaching not being a mile wide and an inch deep. I hope that we can see our way out of the page turning mentality and really get to the heart of what students should know and be able to do.

Another idea that caught my eye and is percolating in my mind is the idea that all students are in the general education setting. All teachers are responsible for teaching students and moving them to the next level of knowledge.

The biggest idea I came away with was that ALL TEACHERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR LITERACY. ALL meaning ALL.

I hope we can find our way to cross curricularize more units into engaging, knowledge building, creative endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment....