Monday, August 4, 2014

Back to school….

So the #1 question with the beginning of August is:  “Are you ready to go back to school?”  

Everyone asks.  Most expect me to say no. 

As of July 31….I am ready.  

Don’t get me wrong…I love summer vacation. I get all kinds of projects done around our house and yard. This year,  I had the most amazing summer.  My husband and I traveled to Utah for a vacation. Two days of the vacation were a conference called Nerdtacular and the rest was touristy stuff.  The conference was fun and entertaining.  We met podcast personalities that we regularly listen to.  The rest of the week-long vacation was spent sightseeing and hiking.    It was our first time in Utah and we cannot wait to go back. This was early July. The second fun event of my summer vacation was the arrival of my parents who live in Florida.  Fifteen years ago, they decided to become permanent residents of the “Sunshine State”.  I love my parents dearly and when they come to town, we try to pack into  10 days all the things we would do together if they lived here….shopping, dinners, movies, visiting relatives and friends….The  10 days they usually stay are NEVER  enough.  It gets harder and harder, as they get older, to have them so far away. They are in generally good health but…well…just saying.

So today, they departed to go back and yeah, I’m ready to go back to school.  The school anxiety has started.  The prime indicator is dreams.  I have dreams of being in school and that kind of ends summer vacation.  The next thing is checking.  I am constantly checking for dates.  I was supposed to have a meeting this week.  I fully knew it was supposed to be on the 6th, but last night I could not go to sleep without double checking school email to confirm it. As it turns out, the meeting has been canceled.  I have signed up for a 2 day seminar later this month and I know I will not only be double checking on that meeting's dates and times but also checking on the  first day of school….The “checking” makes me crazy because I know the dates  but I worry at the same time so I keep checking…..

Yeah…I’m ready….I laugh because I usually perceive that parents are always ready to send their kids back to school almost the week after  summer vacation starts.  More and more however, I find parents complaining that school starts too early…that school should not start until after Labor Day….and in general, many parents seem to enjoy having their kids home.  So, while parents might not be ready for school to start…I am and when the kids get there...I'll be really ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment....