Sunday, March 29, 2015

I'll take Analogies for $500

This whole testing thing has got me thinking. One of the people I follow on Twitter posted a series of analogies about teachers and testing, and likening them to other professions/activities. I kind of like the medical analogy and want to spend this blog examining it (pun intended).

When I go to the doctor, once a year, he asks that I have blood tests completed at least 2 weeks before my appointment. When I  arrive for my appointment, the nurse checks my weight, heart, blood pressure and pulse. I see these all as tests.

When the doctor enters the room, we talk about how I am feeling. He has a check list of symptoms that we review and determine if there is anything we need to address.

We also talk about the results of the blood tests and what they indicate.

In the biggest picture, these are all progress indicators.

The doctor does not lose pay if I have a test result that is not what it should be.
The doctor does not have a bad evaluation by his superior if my cholesterol is high.
The doctor does not have a bad evaluation if my thyroid hormones are not what they should be.
I am not scorned or marked as needing to repeat the tests if my results are not as they should be.
I do not have to repeat the tests until the readings are what they should be. In fact, if my test results are not what they should be, the doctor and I discuss what changes I need to make to have better results. If I do not make these changes, it is not the doctor who is held accountable, it is me. And if I do not/cannot make the changes, the doctor offers alternatives to help me improve my health....interventions.

As a teacher, I have always viewed tests as these "progress"checks.

Are my students learning what they need to be learning?
Am I teaching what they need to know in a way that helps them learn? I have always told students that exams are not just what have they learned, but how well have I taught it to them.

Teaching and learning are that team effort. The moment in the "examination" when the team decides how to proceed.
What is going to help the learner/patient make better choices about their learning/health.
What can the teacher/doctor help the learner/patient with to have a better outcome?
If the teacher/doctor offers help/advice to have a better outcome, and the learner/patient does not partake of the offer/advice can the teacher/doctor be accountable?

Yeah sounds like that teacher cop out moment. But really....school is not like a factory. If it were a factory, the producer would choose the best raw materials to produce the best product (sounds like private schools that are selective of their students). I work in a public school. We don't have the luxury of being selective of who attends. I am a cheerleader and supporter for my students. I continuously encourage my students and treat everyday as a new day despite ....

As I sit here thinking of the "despite litany",  it also sounds like another teacher cop out moment. But really...I cannot control the actions of the people who come to school everyday and the things that happen to them  in the 24 hours between Monday's algebra class and Tuesday's algebra class. I cannot control the absent 3/5 days per week. I cannot control the growth of the brain that says "maybe not now, but later, you will be really good at this subject" or is wired differently and needs different approaches to a subject. I cannot control the chemistry that makes some students depressed, others ADD, and others ADHD. I can, like my doctor, offer help, suggest ways and alternatives to improve the outcomes. I can make interventions but unless the student/patient recognizes the problem and buys into the offers, progress is difficult at best. My doctor may say my cholesterol his high and I have to cut back on cheese. If I don't cut back, it is my problem, not my doctor's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment....