Sunday, March 1, 2015

Testing: The Saga Continues

This post is going to be purely about me.

My husband says he loves summer vacation.  He isn't on summer vacation....he has a "real" job.  He says he "loves" summer vacation because  (and I quote him directly): 

"I get my wife back."

The poor guy, he never knows who he is talking to for  9 months, the Wicked Witch of the West or Glenda the Good Witch.....heck, I never know who he is talking to until my lips start to move.  

I don't think I have slept through  from Sunday night to Monday morning all school year.  I have these  3 AM wake ups that start my brain rolling and  suddenly it is  5:09 and the alarm clock is going off.   I know some people just start their day when that happens.  

If I were still single, I would probably just come home from school and go right to sleep ( my stress coping mechanism).

In the last  2 years, I  have lost 20 pounds.  In the last month, I have gained back 8.  Instead of going home and sleeping, I head to the gym and work out.   It is supposed to help with the stress.  I guess it has prevented me from  gaining more than 8.

I have shooting pain from the right side of my head down my shoulder and there are days I can barely turn/tilt my head.

Friday night was the first time I hung out with friends since November.  (I had to skip my workout to make that happen). It's not that I couldn't make arrangements with friends....but who would want to be around me?

(I just read this post up to this point to my husband. I couldn't help but  start crying...maybe that will also help with some of the stress relief)

Every Sunday is dedicated to school work.  

I told my husband this morning that I will probably have a headache until June.

It's not that I don't like my job.  I love teaching.  I always tell my students I am fortunate because what I love to do pays me money.  I also told them I  would do this for free if my food and housing were covered (I liken it to the old west when teachers received these provisions as part of their compensation).  

I hate testing.  What happened this past week with testing and our students....it was borderline the psychology experiments of the  60's when there were no  ethical guidelines for human subjects. (Wikipedi article on Human subject research).  Can you say CRUEL AND UNUSUAL?

Believe me, I know people want to  know that their children will graduate from high school with skills that will help them be successful in life.  I know that  the greatness of  our country is based on the idea that we are pioneers and innovators.  I understand that the jobs kids in elementary school will work at are not even invented yet.  I do not believe, know or understand how what we will be doing in school from February through the end of the school year will help that happen.  I want my students in my classroom learning and growing.  It is not happening when they are testing.

I can't wait until  summer vacation.  

I can have myself back.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment....